콩나물밥 (Soybean Sprout Rice)
Developed by: Annie Namba
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 200g soybean sprouts
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 200g ground beef
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon 국간장
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- pinch of salt, pepper and powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 of a small carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 표고버섯, thinly sliced
For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced green peppers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced red peppers (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, mirin, 국간장, grated garlic, salt, pepper and powdered ginger.
- Wash rice, then add water, but use 25% less than usual. Set aside.
- Wash soybean sprouts and drain well.
- In a skillet, heat oil and brown ground beef and onions.
- On top of the washed rice, layer soybean sprouts, then browned beef.
- Top with optional ingredients if you have them, then cook the rice in the rice cooker the usual way.
- While the rice is cooking, combine all the sauce ingredients and set it aside. Serve with the sauce on the side.
Notes & Tips
Some rice cookers have a special setting for 콩나물밥. Our does, and I've tried it, but the regular setting seems to work fine so I just use that. It is also possible to cook on the stove top if you do not have a rice cooker. (Actually, it's the first time I've owned a rice cooker and now I can't live without it!)