Developed by: Annie Namba
- 1 package (210g) fresh udon noodles
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 small bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 strips bacon, sliced
- 8 medium shrimp, diced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- hanakatsuo (thin katsuobushi shavings, aka bonito flakes)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- powdered ginger to taste
- In a small pot, boil udon noodles per directions on package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large wok, heat oil, then brown garlic and onions for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers, then stir for 2 minutes.
- Once the bell peppers are cooked, add bacon and stir for about 2 more minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink.
- Add noodles, sauce mixture and sliced leek and stir until the sauce is well distributed.
- Top with hanakatsuo and serve immediately.
Notes & Tips
- You can use pre-made yakisoba sauce instead of the sauce mixture.
- I soak frozen shrimp in water for 3-5 minutes before using.
- Vegetables and meat ingredients are not so strict here. You can use whatever you have in your fridge.
- Hanakatsuo topping is optional, but improves the presentation by about 200%. :)